One of the standards for my ninth graders is that when given a context, graph, equation, or a context they can use that to create the other three. I have one standard for linear equations and one for exponential equations.
They mostly get the linear one. They still REALLY have a hard time with exponential. Mostly with coming up with a context. If I give them the context, then can usually work from that to create the other three parts (graph, equation, and table). But if I give them one of the other three, only one of them has been able to give me a context that works.
I saw a card matching game for linear functions on another website where students match the graph, the equation, a description (slope, intercept), and the table. That’s almost what I need! So I downloaded the files that blogger provided then made contexts to match them.
I’ve put off writing this blog because I REALLY want to say where I got the cards from! But I now can’t find it… thought it was on my Pinterest board, but the one on there was a different teacher that didn’t have downloads available. (edit: after some searching through my browser history, I found the original download!)
There are two equations I couldn’t come up with a real context for. And some of the other ones are stretching things a bit. I’ve read a little recently about trying to make math in school more authentic. Definitely something I’m aiming toward as I have time to work on it, and I do include some more realistic things for other lessons.
To make the matching more authentic, at some point I’ll need to do the context cards first – then create the rest. This time however… all the other work was already done and I’m in a time crunch, so used what was available.
Here are my files for the linear matching game:
Coming soon I’ll have pictures posted of the game. Right now they are headed for my “parent basket” for a volunteer to copy, cut, and laminate them.
You can find my links to the matching game for exponential equations here. These ones I like better than the linear! I started with context first, then made the table, graph, and equation. It was tons easier to make realistic context doing it that way.